Who is Jesus?
Open Your Bible
These verses and any linked articles/stories are intended to help jumpstart you in your own studies. MOST VERSES ARE BEST UNDERSTOOD WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE WHOLE LETTER in which it was written. We can’t emphasize enough how important it is to have your own bible and seek on your own. no one or any resource can replace one-on-one time with the king.
IMPORTANT: Notes in highlighted boxes are my personal notes/thoughts.
"We're looking for Jesus", are the words that exploded out of the tv as my husband and I watched a scene from The Chosen. Since then, I've continuously had those words rolling through my head. >That's it, isn't it?< Truly, we're all looking for the real Jesus. The problem is there are so many ideas people have of Jesus and, really, most of them are askew. If we're honest, we all create an idea in our head of what we want Jesus to be. But...Who is Jesus? Who does Jesus say He is? What does the Bible say about the One we call Jesus? Tip #1: Read the Bible with the thought, "I'm looking for Jesus, what do these verses tell me about Jesus?" rather than reading to figure out what to do, how to be, or as a list of do's/dont's. Look for Jesus because He IS the Word made flesh. Tip #2: Take a piece of paper and write down attributes and names of Jesus as you read the verses below and whenever you read the Bible. For example: God of Heaven's armies, Anointed One, Beginning and End, The Word, patient, trumpet voice, white hair, eyes of fire, sword in his mouth, etc. Writing these down will help you learn who Jesus is. Just like in any relationship, don't assume you know who He is, let Jesus (Yeshua) tell you who He is!
Bible versions used will vary and some may be paraphrased.
We suggest using BibleGateway.com to look up the verse in your favorite version.
2 Timothy 2:8 [TPT] But make Jesus, the Anointed One, your focus in life and ministry…
John 1:1 [TPT] In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Related Articles & Links…
ISAIAH 53 (speaking of the Messiah – Jesus) …He was not well-formed or especially handsome; we saw him, but his appearance did not attract us. People despised and avoided him, a man of pains, well acquainted with illness. Like someone from whom people turn their faces, he was despised; we did not value him.
Can we pause here for a moment? Think about this verse in Isaiah! Society has this idea that Jesus was loved by all and a great guru of some sort. Isaiah clearly tells us it is the opposite. Not to mention, if you really read the gospels, you'll see this was, in fact, true. John 6 talks about the crowds following him around but then Jesus calls them out and basically says, Why are you here? You're here to get fed and see something spectacular. I think of the movie The Gladiator when Maximus wins a fight (having to kill a man so he is not killed) then screams at the crowd and says, "Are you not entertained?!". That's what Jesus was saying. These crowds that followed him in adoration eventually crucified him. Think about that. When you feel rejected, misunderstood, lied about, or marginalized, this is true: Our God knows well our pain.
John 1:1-2 [AMPC] In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself. He was present originally with God.
Genesis 1:1 [AMPC] In the beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth.
John 1:3 [AMPC] All things were made and came into existence through Him and without Him was not even one thing made that has come into being.
Genesis 1:2-3 [AMPC] The earth was without form and an empty waste, and darkness was upon the face of the very great deep. The Spirit of God was moving (hovering and brooding) over the face of the waters.
And God said…
Let there be Light; and there was light.
John 1:4-5 [AMPC] In Him was life, and the Life was the Light of men. And the Light shines in the darkness, for the darkness has never overpowered it…
John 1:9-10 [TPT] For the Light of Truth was about to come into the world and shine upon everyone. He entered into the very world He created…
John 1:9-10 [AMPC] There it was – the true Light coming into the world…He came into the world, and thought the world was made through Him the world did not recognize Him.
Genesis 1:4 And God saw that the light was good and He approved it; and God separated the light from the darkness.
John 1:14 [ESV] And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us…
Genesis 1:26-27 [AMPC] God said, let Us make mankind in Our image, after Our likeness…so God created man in His own image, in the image and likeness of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Revelation 1:1 [CJB] This is the revelation which God gave to Yeshua the Messiah so that he could show his servants what must happen very soon. He communicated it by sending his angel to his servant Yochanan (John), who bore witness to the Word of God and to the testimony of Yeshua the Messiah, as much as he saw.
1 Peter 1:1 From Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, the Anointed One
We'll see over and over that Jesus is referred to as the "Anointed One".
1 Peter 1:3 Celebrate with praises the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…we are reborn to experience a living, energetic hope (the hope of life) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
Jesus (Yeshua) is God in the flesh (God in a human body).
Colossians 1:19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fulness to dwell in [Jesus] and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross.
Colossians 2:9 [ESV] For in Jesus all the fulness of Deity dwells in bodily form.
Colossians 2:9 [TPT] For He is the complete fullness of deity living in human form.
JOHN 1:9 This was the true light, which gives light to everyone entering the world. He was in the world – the world came to be through Him – yet the world did not know Him.
John 1:9 [TPT] For the Light of Truth was about to come into the world and shine upon everyone. He entered into the very world he created, yet the world was unaware (did not perceive).
JOHN 1:11-12 He came to his own homeland, yet his own people did not receive him. BUT…
to as many as did receive him, to those who put their trust in his person and power, he gave the right to become children of God, not because of bloodline, physical impulse or human intention, but because of God.
JOHN 1:11-12 He came to the very people he created-to those who should have recognized him, but they did not receive him. BUT..
those who embraced him and took hold of his name were given authority to become the children of God! [TPT]
JOHN 3:35 The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.
Hebrews 1 God…in these last days has spoken to us by His son, who He has appointed heir of all things.
- heir of all things
- God made the world through Him (Jesus)
- the brightness of God’s glory
- the image of God’s person (express image)
- upholds all things by the word of His power’ purged our sins – by Himself
- sat down at the right hand of the “Majesty on high”.
- became better than the angels (so much better)
- inherited a most excellent name
- all the angels of God worship Him
- His throne is forever
- He rules His kingdom in righteousness
- loves righteousness and hates lawlessness
- God anointed Him with the oil of gladness
- laid the foundation of the earth
- the heavens are the work of His hands
- Jesus never changes, does not grow old
PHILLIPPIANS 2:5-11 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of me. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. [ESV]
PHILLIPPIANS 2:5-1 Let your attitude toward one another be governed by your being in union with the Messiah Yeshua: Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God something to be possessed by force. On the contrary, he emptied himself, in that he took the form of a slave by becoming like human beings are. And when he appeared as a human being, he humbled himself still more by becoming obedient even to death —death on a stake as a criminal! Therefore God raised him to the highest place and gave him the name above every name; that in honor of the name given Yeshua, every knee will bow — in heaven, on earth and under the earth — and every tongue will acknowledge that Yeshua the Messiah is Adonai —to the glory of God the Father. [CJB]
2 CORINTHIANS 4:4 …who (Jesus) is the image of God. [ESV]
Revelation 1:1 This is the unveiling of Jesus Christ… [TPT]
Most people associate the book of Revelation with the end of the world. However, its original intent is a revelation of and by Jesus! The correct translation: The Unveiling of Yeshua HaMashiach (the Messiah). While it does tell us what will happen at the return of the Messiah, it is also a treasure-trove of discovering WHO Jesus is.
- Revelation 1:4 May the kindness of God’s grace and peace overflow to you from him who is, and who was, and who is coming…
- 1: 5 …from Jesus Christ the Faithful Witness, the Firstborn from among the dead and the ruling King, who rules over the kings of the earth!
- 1:5 Now to the one [Jesus] who constantly loves us and has loosed us from our sins by his own blood, and to the one [Jesus] who has appointed us as a kingdom of priests to serve his God and Father-to him be glory and dominion throughout the eternity of eternities! Amen!
- 1:7 Behold! He [Jesus] appears (or comes) within the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him. And all the people groups of the earth will weep with sorrow because of him.
- 1:8 “I [Jesus] am the Aleph and the Tav, the beginning and the ending,” says the Lord God, “who is, who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
- 1:8 [CJB] “I am the Alef and the Tav”, says Adonai, God of heaven’s armies, the One who is, who was and who is coming.
- 1:9 I, John, am your brother and companion in tribulation (persecution, great pressure), the kingdom, and the patience that are found in Jesus…
- 1:10 …I heard a loud voice sounding like a trumpet…
- 1:12 When I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, I saw seven golden lampstands. And walking among the lampstands, I saw someone like a son of man, wearing a full-length robe (“the robe of the ephod”. i.e. a priest’s robe) and between his breasts a golden harness.
- 1:14 His head and his hair were white like wool-white as glistening snow…
- 1:14 And his eyes were like flames of fire!
- 1:15 His feet were gleaming like bright metal, as though they were flowing in a fire…
- 1:15 …and his voice was like the roar of many rushing waters.
- 1:16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword.
- 1:16 his face was shining like the brightness of the blinding sun!
- 1:17 I heard his reassuring voice…
- 1:17 “I am the Beginning and I am the End, the Living One!
- 1:17 I was dead, but now look-I am alive forever and ever.
- 1:17 And I hold the keys that unlock death and the unseen world.
Revelation 2:1 For these are the words of the one [Jesus] who holds the seven stars firmly in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.
- 2:5 [TPT] I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place of influence if you do not repent.
- 2:6 [CJB] But you have this in your favor: you hate what the Nicolaitans do – I hate it too.
- 2:7 [TPT] To the one who overcomes/experiences victory I [Jesus] will give access to feast on the fruit of the Tree of Life that is found in the paradise of God.
- 2:8 [ CJB] Here is the message from the First and the Last, who died and came alive again…
- 2:10 [CJB] …I will give you life as your crown.
- 2:12 [ CJB] “Here is the message from the one who has the sharp double-edged sword”.
- 2:12 [ TPT] “For these are the words of the one whose words pierce the hearts of men”.
- 2:13 [CJB]…you are holding onto my name…
- 2:13 [TPT] …you still cling faithfully to the power of my name…
Within this context, Jesus is declaring there is power in His name.
- 2:17 [TPT] To everyone who is victorious I will let him feast on the hidden manna and give him a shining white stone. And written upon the white stone is inscribed his new name, known only to the one who receives it.
- 2:18 [TPT] For these are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished brass…
- 2:21 [CJB] I gave her [those operating in the spirit of Jezebel] time to turn from her sin, but she doesn’t want to repent of her immorality. So I am throwing her into a sickbed; and those who commit adultery with her I am throwing into great trouble, unless they turn from the sins connected with what she does; and I will strike her children dead!
"But I have this against you..." With each of the seven congregations of believers, Jesus pointed out something he had against them and called them to repent. Remember that Jesus love is based in holiness. Jesus is both Lion and Lamb. Many perceve him as a silent guru who nods at everything and anything that people want. No...He is fierce about holiness!
- 2:23 [CJB] Then all the Messianic communities will know that I am the one who searches minds and hearts, and that I will give to each of you what your deeds deserve.
Jesus is after motives. And, yes, we will be held accountable for our deeds on earth. Remember...this letter is to Messianic communities/churches. The people reading this letter, the audience to which it was written, are Christians.
- 2:26 [TPT] To everyone who is victorious and continues to do my works to the very end I will give you authority over the nations to shepherd them with a royal scepter…even as I also received authority from the presence of my Father.
- 2:28 [TPT] I will give the morning star to the one who experiences victory.
Revelation 3:1 [TPT] These are the words of the one who holds the seven Spirits of God(or the seven-fold Spirit of God) and the seven stars
- 3:2 [CJB] For I have found what you are doing incomplete in the sight of my God
- 3:3 if you don’t wake up, I will come like a thief; and you don’t know at what moment I come upon you.
- 3:4 Yet there are still a few in Sardis who have remained pure, and they will walk in fellowship with me in brilliant light, for they are worthy.
Jesus offers fellowship with him.❤️ (Salvation is not fellowship. Research the difference between Eternal Life & Salvation. One can be saved as though "barely escaping the flames" but there are varying degrees of fellowship/intimacy with Jesus and the Father. I say: Go all in!????
- 3:5 He who wins the victory will, like them, be dressed in white clothing; and I will not blot his name out of the Book of Life;
- 3:5 [CJB] in fact, I will acknowledge him individually before my Father and before his angels.
- 3:7 [TPT] These are the solemn words of the Holy One, the true one, who has David’s key, who opens doors that none can shut and who closes doors that none can open.
- 3:9 [TPT] All those I dearly love I unmask and train (or rebuke and discipline).
Revelation 5:5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Stop weeping. Look! The mighty Lion of Judah’s tribe, the root of David-he has conquered! He is the worthy one who can open the scroll and its seven seals.”
Revelation 5:6 [TPT] Then I saw a young Lamb standing in the middle of the throne…He appeared to have been slaughtered but was now alive!
Revelation 5:7 [TPT] I saw the young Lamb approach the throne and take the scroll from the right hand of the one who sat there.
Revelation 5:9 [TPT] And they were all singing this new song of praise to the Lamb: “Because you were slaughtered for us, you are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals. Your blood was the price paid to redeem us. You purchased us to bring us to God out of every tribe, language, people group, and nation. You have chosen us to serve our God and formed us into a kingdom of priests who reign on the earth.”
Revelation 5:12 [TPT] [and the angels ange] “Worthy is the Christ the Lambe who was slaughtered to receive great power and might, wealth and wisdom, and honor, glory, and praise!”
Revelation 5:13 [TPT] worshiping with one voice, saying: “Praise, honor, glory, and dominion be to God-Enthroned and to Christ the Lamb forever and ever!”
John 1:1 [TPT] In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing made had being. In him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not suppressed it.
2 Timothy 4:1 [TPT] Timothy, in the presence of our great God and our Lord Jesus Christ, the One who is destined to judge both the living and the dead by the revelation of his kingdom…